The Evil and Silly PrefectRecalling about my prefect life in my primary school.
The first day of the prefects' ceremony,everyone was anxious as what type of duty they will be assigned to.I was assigned with the recess duty and flag bearer.
The recess duty is kinda simple,you just have to stand and 'guard' the food stall to prevent anyone from cutting queue,pushing other people.Many of us did not really do our duties well,we just stand down there like a statue.My recess duty is kinda different from other prefects who also have recess duty.I do not have to stand and guard the stall,other prefects will have to tell me what incidents happened during recess...my duty was to record students' names into the log file.
Lol,but most of us slacked and we did nothing much since the students were not much of a problem.
And after submitting the log file to the office,I have this duty to ring the bell,a bell that means recess has ended.Lol,for the first time,I do not know how does it works.The office staff taught me to click the switch on a wall and the bell will ring.And then he told me to hold in for around 3 seconds.So for the first time I rang the bell,I can hear lower primary students yelling and screaming,like some little lively kids =D
Sometimes I was mean,I purposely rang the bell 5 minutes in advance.And then when I stepped out of the office,I saw everyone rushing back to the hall.Then I was like 'oh lol'.
As for the flag bearer,the first few times I tried to pull the flag,were horrible.
I was appointed to pull the school flag up.There's this rule that the school flag has got to be lower than the national flag.
But well,newbies like my friend and I who were tasked to do this duty had made a lot of mistakes.I was worried to death when I tried to pull the string but the flag did not go up!And then I realised I have pulled the right string instead of the left one.
The next morning assembly,I hanged the flag wrongly,in the end,the school logo was vertically opposite.And my partner had the national flag opposite too.
Then we were made to take down the flags after morning assembly and click correctly.
Like I have said,school flag has to be lower than the national flag.But when I was pulling the string,I did not realise that my flag was so much higher than the national flag.
When I had the flag reached the top,the national flag was still at mid-way -.-
There's one time that when the national anthem has ended,our flags were still half way through the poles.
So,I began to take more notice on this.One day,when I had focused too much on keeping the flag lower than the national flag,I accidentally let go of my fingers and off the flag went!!
It was really really embarrassing.Can you imagine the flag dropped down halfway through the national anthem?The whole school was like 'Woa...'
Well,the discipline master was very good to us.He did not scold me and wanted me to have more practice.
We were told that the flag poles were a bit rusty.While we were pulling the flags up,unnecessary noises and screeches were heard.And,to the extent that the rust was really serious,I had my flag stuck on mid way,and could not go any further.The national anthem has ended and I could not do anything but to let it stuck on mid-way.
There's one time when my partner got the strings entangled to his shoes and he did not notice until he found out why his flag could not reach any further up.
He tried to untie the strings but as the anthem has ended,he was still not done yet..So we had our flags not even halfway through the pole.
The discipline master approached us and asked me why we did not pull the flag.Then I told him that my partner has got something cropped up.Since the national flag could not move and I can't overtake or surpass it,I stopped pulling too -.-
After many practices,we finally had no problem.Flag bearer has became an easy and fun duty for us.We enjoyed pulling the flags every morning assembly since then.
Besides duty,we had some compulsory things like ushering during important events.
There was a meeting to be held in the hall for many Principals and Vice-Principals from many primary schools...so most of the prefects had to usher them.We were allowed to choose where we want to stand at,so me and my best friend went near the main gate there.Many prefects were there too.Suddenly,a lot of people started to come in to the school.Then my friend and I could not handle it and so we went to hide at the staircase there,anyway it was still quite near the main gate.
When a lady asked for direction of the toilet,my friend gave her the directions.So my friend and I were whispering to one another,as she was approaching the male toilet, 'arr no please don't go that way!' And so,she ended up in the male's toilet.
We can't help it but,burst out laughing.Then we hide at one corner and see,she came out after 10 seconds.So my friend and I were saying,by the sight how the toilet looks like,she should know its a male toilet,why would it take so long for her to realise and come out.
We ran away when she was coming towards our direction,though she did not see us.
Lol,that was being so cheeky of us xD
Its really fun to be prefects in primary school days,as most of us were still naive and lively.
Haha,miss the time I had in my primary school.